Thursday, February 9, 2012

Slurpin' fun.

So, after years of not caring, we now care. Wait. That sounds so blunt. I mean, we (I'm talking about me and the hubs here) care about a lot of things. We are almost borderline passionate about some things. Like hamburgers. And sports. But we've never really cared about our teeth. And why the heck would we? They just kinda are what they are. They come in when we are babies, fall out during grade school and then again when Depends show up on the shopping list. But let me just say this, after you see an x-ray of your head and actually see what those bad boys are doing inside of your jaw, you may start to care. I am typing this with spacers in between four of my back molars. It basically feels like there are thousands of popcorn hulls stuck between my teeth. And if my quick research on Wiki is reliable, this is done to space out a nice cozy spot for the anchors to fit. The anchors are the things that get tightened at appointments. The fun stuff. The fun stuff that causes headaches. So, I am a week behind the hubs in my treatment plan. He stumbled out of bed this morning in hopes that I would call in sick for him. He got his braces on yesterday. See, he actually needed braces. Poor guy. It was medically necessary otherwise a toothless grin was more than likely in his near future. Thank you military base dentists. So I told him, thinking he would chicken out, "Hun, if you do it, I will be right there with ya." Now, I am the one starting to make chicken noises. I feel for kids who go through this. Who go to the orthodontist and then off to school. Eeeewww. Ouch. With their stellar genes, our kids will be there soon enough. They actually think mom and dad are pretty cool right now. Wait until momma comes home next week with hot pink bands on her bottom row of metal. Oh yeah, you know that's right. Well, all this tightening of the bling creates a problem when trying to stick to a metabolic plan. One where consuming 2,700 + calories a day is required. Do you honestly know how hard that is without eating tortilla chips, soft candy, hard nuts or Twizzlers? But, you gotta do what you gotta do. So, I did some digging and found some smoothie recipes. I just tried this bad boy out for lunch. Yum. Pure yum. I could get kinda used to this soft diet routine if it involves smoothies like this. Give it a try. I'm sure it's delicious with or without braces.
Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
1/4 C peanut butter
2 TBs honey
1/2 C ice
1 C milk (I used almond milk)
1 medium banana
Mix in blender for 30 seconds. Serves 2. Per serving: 356 calories; 4 g saturated fat; 13 g unsaturated fat; 6 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbs; 202 mg sodium; 13 g protein; 3.5 g fiber.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck! I remember those spacers. ouch! And then when I came home with my braces, I felt like I wanted to pull them off with pliers. Ibubrofen is a good friend... You're a great wife to go through it with hubby. Don't get your braces locked when you kiss! :) Don't know if that actually happens or if it's an urban myth.